“As of 2017, veterans make up 11% of Maine’s adult population.”
(U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs Report)
Have you served in the military in any capacity? Are you an employer that is interested in hiring more veterans or learning about military culture? Consider coming to the Maine Hire a Vet kickoff event on August 29th at the Augusta Civic Center!
Every year Maine’s campaign to hire at least 100 veterans in 100 days links employers and job-seekers from across the state. This includes anyone who has served, regardless of whether or not they have seen combat. You can check out this website or Facebook page to learn more, but first read our FAQs!
Who should attend?
- Current or retired military members and their families looking for a new career or hoping to transition careers (any branch, role, or assignment!)
- Employers hoping to hire more veterans that have taken a pledge to attempt to employ members of the military while learning more about their culture
Did you know that, as of 2017, there are over 114,000 veterans in Maine and almost 20 million veterans nationally? This report explains more about the veteran population in Maine.
When and where?
- The Maine Hire a Vet campaign kickoff event will be held in Augusta, Maine on August 29, 2019 from 11am-3pm
- The event will take place at the Augusta Civic Center (76 Community Drive, Augusta, ME)
I’m a veteran, what can I expect?
- The opportunity to meet potential employers committed to hiring veterans
- Resume and interview preparation
- Pre- and post-transition personalized networking
What are a few of the things that the employers agree to do?
- Attempt to hire veterans or military family members during the 100 day-period (starting on August 29, 2019).
- Consider military education and experience in addition to degrees.
I’m an employer, what can I expect?
- Support from the Hire a Vet campaign in hiring veterans and military family members
- Free resources to post jobs on Maine JobLink, Destination Occupation Job Board and Live+Work in Maine
- Potential eligibility to take advantage of the Work Opportunity Tax Credit
- Military culture training
- The campaign has proven to be successful!
- Since 2015, when the program started, 600 employers have participated, resulting in 1,000 veteran-hires.
- In 2018 there were 286 veteran and military family hires, with 191 employers participating.
Need more information?
This Mainebiz article describes the progress made last year! You can also read this blog post, which quotes one of the Maine Hire a Vet staff members, helps to explain how important civilian employment is for service members socially. Take a look!
Encourage your favorite employers to join the campaign. They can contact Steven Roy (Campaign Coordinator) at 207-624-5156 (TTY: Relay 711) or MaineHireAVet.DOL@maine.gov.